Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hello 2011...Hello To A New Me

Every year we find ourselves making resolutions for the following year to come.  Many of them brought over from the year before and the year before that and the year before that.  I mean I've been saying I'm quitting smoking now for 5 years.  We do it not because we know were actually going to do those things, well most of them anyway, but it's a reflection of who we want to be.  That we have hope in ourselves to be a great person and to do great things.  So here are some of my resolutions for 2011, whether they get accomplished or not is a different story but there's always hope that some day they will.
Write more  I've already shared this in one of my previous notes as to why I feel this is important to me.  And to be honest it's already starting to help.  We spend so much time putting up walls to protect ourselves from other people that eventually it's just you in a castle by yourself because no one else can get in.  Break down some of those walls.  You can't be a King if you don't have a kingdom.

Be me and only me   Everyday we are forced to be so many different people.  There's Work Tara, Friend Tara, Girlfriend Tara, Roommate Tara, Family Tara Jo, Creative Tara, Business Tara, Party Tara, Daughter Tara, Sister Tara, Soon-To-Be Mother Tara.  And the list goes on and on.  We have all these different roles to play and at the end it's easy to get lost because it's hard to remain yourself 100% of the time when everyone ask and expects different things of you.  There are certain masks that I just feel more comfortable wearing then others and that's only because at those times that's when I'm me and that's when I'm happy.  The theme for this year is happiness and I want to be happy 100% of my day being me.  I'm sorry for those who won't be pleased but "those that mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind".

Family and friends  If there's one major flaw I have it's keeping in touch with people.  Believe me when I say that it's not that I don't care or am indifferent to our whether or not our relationship flourishes.  Every person that is a part of my life I've let them be for a reason and is always on my mind.  But sometimes we get too busy, caught up in our own personal lives, that we selfishly forget that there are others out there who care for you just as much if not more.   I feel that many of us sometimes feel that a simple interaction is too much of a hassle.  But is picking up the phone for 10 minutes, or sending a quick letter or email to remind someone that you care and are thinking of them that much of an inconvenience.  I admit that when it comes to my family and friends I have been selfish.  I am truly blessed with everyone that I have in my life and i apologize if I've made you feel neglected..  So don't be surprised if a random phone call or email comes your way. 

Be More Positive  I tend to ride a fine line between optimism and pessimism.  When life has kicked you in the balls quite a few times you tend to become hesitant and assume the worst.  I don't want to wake up in the morning stressed about all the things I'm not going to get done for the day, how much money I'm not going to make at work, and whatever drama is going on at the moment.  No, when I wake up in the morning the first thing I want to do is smile.  The first thing I want to come across my mind is "what is going to make today more special then yesterday?"  I don't only want to be a positive person for myself but I want to be a positive person for others to be around as well.  I want to be the kind of person who brightens up other people's day, the kind of person that when things don't go according to plan will just breathe and say no biggie we can do it this way.  I want to give out compliments.  I want to do good deeds.  I want to be the best i possibly can be.  I think a gratitude journal is in order. 

Grab Life By The Balls  At 25 I've hardly accomplished anything I've wanted to.  I tell myself I have plenty of time.  But no one knows how much time we really have and all I've been doing is wasting mine.  I have pages and pages of things that I want to do and accomplish and see and I've probably checked off 5, and even that's reaching high.  I look at my friends and family who I admire and they've done so much some of them much younger than me. Life has so much to offer and when someone goes to read my book of life I want them to be like "Wow.  She did so much with her life I hope my life is half as a great as hers."  Right now I'm pretty sure I would have to pay someone to trade lives with me.  In 7 months I'm going to have someone who thinks that I am the most important person in the world, their hero, and I know that I don't want them to grow up and be disappointed when they find out that their mommy isn't really as special as they once thought she was.  No, I want to them to see that they can go any route and do whatever their hearts and minds are set on and that nothing they could possibly ever dream up is impossible.


   These are my top 5 goals for 2011.  That if I accomplish anything this year it needs to be these and all the other goals on my ever growing to-do list will fall into place.  Good luck to all those who made resolutions this year and just remember you made them to better yourself and your life.  Changing ourselves and our habits isn't easy but we all want it and with time and perseverance we can all have it.

1 comment: